Why Seniors Choose to Downsize
Downsizing is a positive step for many seniors, with various reasons influencing the decision.
- A new location – Downsizing offers the chance to try a new city or state. Why not enjoy the year-round Florida sunshine in a beachfront apartment?
- Less maintenance – Leave behind the regular upkeep and maintenance work associated with a large property.
- Reduce expenses – A smaller home or apartment can make a substantial dent in utility bills and other costs.
- Join a retirement community – A retirement community is an excellent option for seniors looking for convenience and safety.
- Family reasons – Moving closer to children or other relatives ensures seniors have the support of their loved ones.
5 Tips for Helping a Senior Downsize
Downsizing and moving requires careful planning, facing logistical challenges – and making measured decisions. However, with the right approach you can help minimize the complexity of a senior move.
1. Plan Ahead
Early planning will prevent a lot of stress when moving time comes around. Consider setting up a written plan based on the expected timeline for the move and its anticipated steps.
2. Work With Experienced Movers
Working with caring, considerate movers is the best way to ensure a streamlined and hassle-free relocation. Moving companies with experience in packing and moving a senior understand how to efficiently plan while showing consideration for the individual.
3. Declutter the Home
Moving to a small home or retirement community will inevitably require some decluttering. Use a practical approach and separate your treasured possessions and must-have items first. You can then select the remaining belongings based on available space.
4. Focus on the Positives of Downsizing
Downsizing and leaving a family home isn’t always the easiest thing to do. However, by focusing on the positives – more free time, less cleaning, a change of climate – senior moving can feel like a fresh start.
5. Plan Your New Home in Advance
It’s helpful to create room plans for the new property in advance of the move. This means that upon arrival, apartment movers will unload and unpack items in your new apartment or assisted living facility. Planning the room layouts can save time on the day, and also make the space feel like home more quickly.
Experienced Senior Moves in Delray Beach
Joe Bonnie & Son Moving & Storage has over 70 years of experience in the moving business. For help with senior moves to new homes, apartments or retirement communities, contact us today. To discuss a move, call (561) 272-2122 or request a free moving quote.