- Begin packing immediately once you have a moving date locked down. Even packing a few boxes each weekend will help spread the work out over a prolonged period. You will then avoid the rush of last-minute packing the day before the big move.
- Prepare yourself with a wide assortment of boxes, packing supplies, and tools. If you’re at a loss, most reputable moving companies will offer an assortment of packing supplies.
- Keep a few boxes on the side for items you intend to sell, donate, or give away. By simplifying your life, you can give your family a fresh start in your new home — and make the unpacking process 10 times easier.
- Start with storage areas. Items you haven’t used in a long time and may never need again, should be the first to go.
- The final items you pack should be your everyday kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom supplies. You’ll likely need these things soon after unpacking in your new home.